How to Downgrade iPhone or iPod iOS 4.3, 4.3.1 to iOS 4.2.1 or 4.1
If you have upgraded your iPhone to iOS 4.3 or iOS 4.3.1 by mistake or for testing purposes and you’re facing issues with the new iOS firmware and you want to downgrade your new iOS 4.3 back to iOS 4.2.1 then please follow the step by step instructions below:
This downgrade process is only for those who have saved SHSH Blobs to Cydia servers for iOS 4.2.1 and iOS 4.1
If you are still on iOS 4.2.1, we highly recommend you to save the blobs before upgrading iPhone to iOS 4.3. You can either use Tiny Umbrella on Windows and Mac Systems or iSHSHit app on your iPhone.
Before you we start please download the following:
- Make sure you have the latest iTunes.
- Download the firmware you want to downgrade to iOS 4.2.1 or iOS 4.1 from our download page Click Here.
- TinyUmbrella for windows, or TinyUmbrella for mac.
Now follow the steps below:
- Exit iTunes
- Locate your hosts file:
- In Mac OS X /etc/hosts
- In Windows c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
- Open the hosts file with Administrator privileges
- Add the following lines to the very bottom of the hosts file:
- 126.96.36.199 gs.apple.com
- Connect your device to the computer
- Launch iTunes
- Put device into DFU Mode by turning your device off and then holding down the sleep and power button for 10 seconds, then release the power button but hold onto the home button until iTunes tells you that the device is now in recover mode
- Use the iTunes Restore feature as usual with the iOS device
- Open iTunes, and connect your iPhone through USB cable to your computer.
- Select your iPhone on the left side of your iTunes.
- Hold Shift key + Click on “Restore”.
- Browse and select the IPSW file you have downloaded earlier.
During the restore process you may see unknown error messages (1013, 1004 etc), just ignore these errors.
At this point your iPhone may be stuck in recovery mode, showing that “Connect to iTunes” screen. To get rid of this recovery mode, download TinyUmbrella and click on “Exit Recovery” option.